photo of Jake Brenner

Jake Brenner, MD, PhD

Faculty Associate Director

Jake Brenner, MD, PhD is the Faculty Associate Director of Penn Health-Tech. He also serves on the Executive Committee as an Associate Director of the Center for Targeted Therapeutics and Translational Nanomedicine. Within Penn Medicine, Brenner is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine and an Attending Physician in the Department of Systems Pharmacology and Translational Therapeutics at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. A bioengineer, critical care physician, inventor, and entrepreneur, Dr. Brenner spends 20% of his time taking care of patients in the ICU and the other 80% engineering medical devices and new technologies in nanomedicine and targeted drug delivery. Dr. Brenner holds an undergraduate degree (BS in Molecular Biology) from Princeton University and completed the Medical Scientist Training Program at Stanford University. He also completed a post-graduate training fellowship at Stanford's Biodesign Program for Medical Device Entrepreneurship.

Dr. Brenner's research focuses on developing nanomedicine for acute critical illnesses (ACIs) via VMNs (vascular-targeted, multi-drug-loaded nanocarriers). On the macro-scale, Dr. Brenner has spun out 3 funded medical device companies, including one with FDA approval, RightAir, a smart vest to relieve shortness of breath in COPD patients. He has educated and advised countless students, trainees, and start-ups on entrepreneurship and developing/commercializing medical technologies. He serves on the admissions committee of the Penn Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) and participating in the Penn Access Summer Scholars (PASS) program, which helps recruit and train undergraduate under-represented minorities, preparing them for careers as physician-scientists.

Website
Email